Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

I have a two cycle heavy duty maytag washer, model #LAT9416AAE It

Customer Question

I have a two cycle heavy duty maytag washer, model #LAT9416AAE
It was working fine until I put the first load in this morning. While the tub filled completely, the washer just hummed and made a ticking sound. The hum is coming from the lower portion of the machine which I think is the motor, and the ticking sound came from the cycle selector area. There was a smell of something getting hot, as well. I put the selector in all main settings, regular, permanent press, soak only, etc, and nothing changed. The washer just sits there with a full load of clothes and water humming and ticking. I was able to turn the washer on and off by pushing/pulling the selector in and out, but haven't had any more success in getting the machine engaged in the agitating cycle. Do you have any thoughts on what it could be? Is there a way to check the selector/timer/line switch?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 6 years ago.
Pull the washer forward away from the wall about 2 feet. Then tip the washer back. Look at the bottom of the washer and make sure the belt is ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
FYI. Tore into the front of the machine and found the motor bound up by string that either came from an area rug or a hard wood floor dust mop. How it got there is anyone's guess, but it is running fine now.
Good find