John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a side by side amana refrigerator that is about 8 years

I have a side by side amana refrigerator that is about 8 years old. My ice maker is not working. It is getting water in the tube and cube tray, but is not freezing. The top shelf of the freezer is cold, but items are not frozen. The 2nd shelf down items are still frozen. Any ideas?

Thanks for the question.

Can you feel frost on the freezer panel and is the freezer fan going, also can you feel warm air coming from the front bottom grill

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not feel frost anywhere. I'm not sure where the freezer panel is located. My manual doesn't have it listed. The freezer fan is going. There is air coming from the bottom front grill, but it is room temperature or cooler, definitely not warm.
Pull the fridge out and take the bottom panel off, is the compressor going .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry it took so long. You are dealing with a female unfamilar with specialty tools. I had to call on a friend to remove the back panel. The compressor is running, but it is very warm to the touch. The fan is running and I cleaned the coils.
Were the coils very dusty
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes they were dusty, but not really caked on. It had been probably 4-5 months since I cleaned them.
Remove the screws in the back panel in the freezer and look at the freezer coils are they all frosted up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The freezer coils were behing a panel in the front part of the freezer and they are frosted up.

http://www.partselect.com/xq/aspx/Inventory.2167865/qx/PartDetail.htm?SourceCode=1

The defrost cycle isn't working, look at the part # XXXXX its the defrost thermostat, this part will cause the frost to build up and the heater as well check both parts its a meter if you have one.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The freezer coils were behing a panel in the front part of the freezer and they are frosted u

Sorry I lost the last response. How much would it cost to replace this unit? Would you suggest buying a new refrigerator/freezer?

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-ssd22nw-%3d%3dc221i223389&PartID=223389

You can repair the fridge by replacing this part, its a cheap fix for you and you can replace this yourself, just unplug the fridge when you replace the defrost thermostat.