william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

Why does the water from my heater keep getting cooler and cooler

Customer Question

Why does the water from my heater keep getting cooler and cooler as the shower runs? It is necessary to keep turning the cold water down the longer the shower runs in order to maintain a comfortable temperature.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
How long are you in the shower for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It starts to cool down after about (2) two minutes after the shower starts and continues to cool slowly.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
What do you have the setting set at? How long have you had this? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The water temperature at the toop of the tank is 140. The tank was installed about a month ago.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
Did you install this yourself or did you have a plumber come in and do this? Look thru your veiwport at the bottom and tell me if the flame is a soft blue color.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was installed by the Lowes installers. The flame is soft blue with yellow
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
When this come on can you hear like a roaring sound?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

Check this for me please? Feel the cold water pipe and see if its going to the top of the heater marked by the letter C.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The cold goes to the top of the heater marked C , top right hand side facing.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for all the questions, but was this replaced with the same size tank?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
Did you have this problem before you put this new one in? Im gonna tell you this whirlpool has had a lawsuit against them for these water heaters.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We had no problems with the old tank. After 14 years it fianally needed to be replaced.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

On which mark is the thermastat set at now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is presently set on HOT.

i

Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

This sounds like you may have low gas pressure. You will have to contact the gas company and have them come out and put a manometer gage on this. Also this is still under warrenty you could have them come and check it out at no cost to you. You could have a bad gas valve also, which is your thermastat.

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The local store people said they talked to Whirlpool and were told that this is water and energy saving measure. I find this very hard to believe but have no basis to contest it. Are you able to make any comments o this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't seem to get anywhere with the local Lowes. Where should I go next?
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

Ive never heard of that rubbish before, they are giving you the run around. This is what i would do. Call them have them take it out and get your money back and go but a RHEEME water heater. You still have a warrenty just for the hec of it call them and have them come and check it out. Read this.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/whirlpool_water_heaters.html