MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

I have a GE hotpoing refrigerator, 5 yrs old and the freezer

Customer Question

I have a GE hotpoing refrigerator, 5 yrs old and the freezer isn't keeping items frozen. We cleaned the dust from the back and and underneath the refrigerator, turned it down to 0 and then back to 9 the next day. Still no luck, any idea?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 4 years ago.

Is there frost on the back panel of the freezer?

Also can you get the model number from the inside of the fresh food section, please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no frost.

model# XXXXX SA

serial# XXXXX

Do you hear a fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I can hear the fan

Do you hear a clicking from the back of the unit?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no clicking sound; however, I just opened up the freezer again and the fan is not on right now. I have it on 9 with nothing but a few things in the freezer and they are not fully frozen.

Are you able to remove the back panel of the freezer?

If so let me know if there is any frost on the coils.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No frost just wet

Are the coils making any noises? boiling, or air moving through it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, also the fan isn't staying on consistently

It sounds like the main control is going bad. Because the fan inside is turning off also. The control is the most likey cause but it may have a bad compressor. The link below will get you to parts. The board is not cheap and I would like to help you make sure but live electric measurements and resistance measurements have to be taken. It may be best to have a tech out to confirm the board.

Click here for part look up

#801 on the look up is the control board. It is located on the back of the unit behind the panel just below center of the unit.

Thank you...

MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thank you. I have a GE tech coming out tomorrow. I do have one more question, the refrigerator has always made a humming sound, do you know what that would be?

It can be one of the fans, the compressor or the transformer on the control board. Some times the damper can make that noise also. The ice maker can also make a hum noise when filling. Can you let me know what they find? Also GE is fairly expensive, and if your unit is more that 5-years old there is likely no warranty left on any parts. You may want to ask a buddy or neighbors if they have had good luck with a local or smaller service company. This would save you some money.

Thank you again...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great, thanks.

GE said they would waive their 89.00 service fee if we had them fix it. Do you think I should cancel and find a local service person? Thanks for feedback and appreciate your honesty.

You can call around and ask for a complete estimate on the repair for the board. I work for a higher end company and I would be about $320-360 for the whole repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You.
No problem, let me know how it turns out and thank you again...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, GE guy came today and when he took the back panel off today the bottom part was frozen. He said we had a freeon leak in a coil and the vaporizer was bad. Needles to say, we are buying a new refrigerator and it won't be another GE product.

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry it was the end of the line for the unit. Nothing is built like it used to be. Let me know if you have any questions for or about the new unit.