Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

maytag model mdg9700aww dryer error code 10 and 11. A technician

Customer Question

maytag model mdg9700aww dryer error code 10 and 11. A technician said we needed to replace the control board. Is the correct part# XXXXX or the following from a parts dealer, Made by: WHIRLPOOL
Part Number: AP4045210 ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi click HERE for the correct part and manufacturers part number. The Ap number you have is just a number relevant to that supplier. Mike
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I recieved the part and installed it and pretty much the same thing is happening. The heat came on just for a bit and then went off and is now not kicking on. Is there a reset sequence that I have to do?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You only asked me for the correct part number in the previous question. I am assuming this follow up question you are looking for a diagnosis. What was the initial problem you were having? Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That the heat would only sometimes come on in the beggining once you started the dryer but not stay on and also the auto sensing was not operating correctly. WHen the Maytag technician came out he stated that the "control board" needed to be replaced and that the dryer was showing error codes of #10 and #11. I thought that by replacing this part would get this corrected.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
when the heat comes on and off is this in auto sense or timed dry or both?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it's in both
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok sounds to me like a problem either with the thermistor or a blockage in the vent system. The best way to find out which is to find the tech sheet and run the diagnostic program. The instructions will be on the tech sheet. Since the machine has thrown error codes at you it should detect the problem and tell you which part is bad. The tech sheet is normally behind the panel under the door. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll check the vent system again but I think that's ok. Let me see if I can find this tech sheet.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
is this a epic or brovos dryer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it's a maytag Neptune series dryer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I disconnected the dryer vent from the back to make sure there was no blockage of air and started the unit on timed dry. At the beginning from a cold start, the heat did come on but again only lasted 3-4 minutes and then went off. I ran the diagonstics and the #10 came up. ANy ideas? DO you think the thermistor could be the problem and not the control board?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
did it say what #10 was on the tech sheet? when you ran the cycle did the heat ever come back? or just for 3 minutes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not check if there's a explaination on the tech sheet, i'll have to check when I get home. The heat only came on in the beginning and not after that. It seems that after it warms up initially it does not come back on until it's cold again
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok I think the problem is with th safety valve coils. I will look up the error code in a while and get back to you. I am fairly certain though that the safety valve coils are the issue. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If you could that would be great and also what the part# XXXXX be please. Thanks, Mark
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok Mark I will get back to you in a couple of hours since I have to run out on a service call. Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok click HERE for the part. Mike
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike, thanks for the reply I've been traveling the past few days. SO this part you are recommending you think will solve the problem? If so, I think I'll try to return the control board because it functions just like the old one so I don't think I need it, do you?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes this is what i recommend you replace. Wish I had the full detail or the problem from the start. I think this is going to solve the problem and yes you can return the control board. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike I recieved the thermistor part today, are there any quick tips as t where I can find this on the dryer to replace it? Meaning it's location and what panel I should remove to get to it. Thanks,Mark G
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

They will be mounted right on top of the gas valve at the front of the machine. Mike

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX at this first thing in the morning
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok if you need anything let me know. Mike