Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE Spectra xl44 gas range- My oven wont turn on even though

GE Spectra xl44 gas range-
My oven won't turn on even though the broiler and top burners work fine. I followed the manual to check the shut-off valve behind the warming drawer, and it appears the tiny red switch fell off. Even with the manual's pic I can't figure out how to put the switch back on. HELP!
do you have a complete model number so I can better assist you? And what red switch are you talking about?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Model# XXXXX There was a little red switch (size of pinky nail) that says DOWN FOR OFF. It looks like the switch on the picture from the manual on pg 46, illustration A for sealed burner models. Thanks.

ok well that part is not supposed to fall off and I'm not sure if there is a way to put it back on if it did. If it's in the on position then you should be fine but if not, you may need to replace the part. As for the bake not working, this generally means that your bake igniter has gone bad. If you open the door and remove all the racks, you can then remove the floor inside the oven. The oven igniter is attached to the back of the bake burner and if you have an amp clamp you can check to confirm it's bad by turning the oven on and check the durrent draw to the igniter, it should be over 3.2 amps to open the safety gas valve. If you don't have an amp clamp just replace the igniter because it costs about $50 and it's by far the most likely suspect. Here is a link to you part.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was hoping it was not the ignitor. I've read several other posts where that switch has fallen off. It seems ridiculus it would be so fragile. Anyway, is the ignitor something I can install myself or do I need to hire a professional?
it's definitely something you can repair yourself, it's just two wires. Unplug the unit and remove the 2 screws holding on the igniter then just disconnect the wires and replace the igniter.