Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE TPX24PRY refer with ice and water through the door..m

I have a GE TPX24PRY refer with ice and water through the door..m the water supply tube in the freezer that supplies the ice maker came loose and water kept dumping into the freezer box. After cleaning yp the mess I reinserted the plastic supply tube into the hole at the back of the freezer and watched for leaks.. it is still leaking into the box. Should I use a food grade silicone to seal the tube in place?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
is the water continuing to come in after the ice maker is full? does the water come up over the cup on the back of the ice maker?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the water comes in when the ice maker dumps its ice into the bin.. and it is making ice so the cup is not frozen (that has happened before) it is leaking where the supply tube goes through the back wall.. I was surprised it was a removable supply tube.. but it appears that it needs to be sealed into the hole.. could that be what I need to do?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Part 298708 this is the part that goes through the freezer back wall and its possible the rubber it stretched so it doesn't seal around this, Part 298208these are never glued in or sealed , they depend on being tight because of the rubber that comes in through the back, I don't suppose a little silicone on the tube would hurt it, check the rubber for cracks, you can pull this out through the back and check it, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Lost internet.. satellite and we are getting mixed bag of rain/snow.. back now.. can I just pull the connection out the back of the refrigerator? It almost looks like the water froze in the tube inside the freezer and thus the next time the ice maker called for water to fill the tray, the incoming water blew the tube out of the hole .. when I removed the tube it was blocked by frozen water and just barely in the water supply hole in the back wall of the freezer.. for some reason the water is remaining in the tube and freezing.. the ice tray fill cup does not seem to be blocked.. maybe there is too much water and it backs up into the supply tube?? Don't know.. when I insert the supply tube into the hole it does seem tight..
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
most likely your fill valve is dripping and not closing tight, this will cause the tube to freeze up, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is the normal cause for your problem, you can order a new valve@ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-TPX24PRY-%3d%3di1032629&PartID=1032629 thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK .. where is it and how do I remove ice maker to replace.. and I do accept your answer.. seems to make sense
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well this is in the back of the refrigerator where the water line connects, very easy to replace, two screws two plug in connectors and three hoses, if you accept its the only way I get paid, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.