Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a kenmore 80 washing machine that will not drain. the

I have a kenmore 80 washing machine that will not drain. the drain hose appears to be open since when I lowered it below the water level in the tub, water drained due to gravity.
is the tub spinning? do you hear the motor running when its in drain?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the tub does not spin. I don't hear any motor run.

ok, this is a lid switch problem, there is a switch that the little post on the lid hits when you close it, these are plastic and break easy, you will need to replace it, you can order one @ this will take care of your issue, thanks Bryan

Part 547225

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am an electrical engineer and can test the switch. I assume it is even possible to bypass (although not recommended) the switch to confirn that the switch is in fact bad. I also assume that if I remove the switch and activate it that it should be a short (closed) meaning it is open when the lid is up. can you confirn this?
sure you can get to the plug for the switch by lifting the top control panel and tipping the panel back against the wall, look for two screws holding the control down, heres a video of some of the controls and how to get them off, hope this helps, thanks Bryan