Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a maytag top loading wasing machine, model mav8600aww

I have a maytag top loading wasing machine, model mav8600aww - about 9 years old, it goes through the wash cycle ok.

when it gets to the spin/rinse cycle - timer between light and rinse - it will just continue to agitate/wash unless we open/close the lid. If we remember to open/close the lid it seems to spin dry then rinse ok but there isn't just one spin/rinse cycle, there seems to be an agitation/wash cycle in between as well so it's tricky to catch both unless you're really listening to it.

I should also mention that about a month ago the motor burned up and I replaced it, it seemed to be ok for a week or two but then started with the no spin/rinse once in a while, now it's almost every run unless we open the lid.

anything I can check prior to replacing more parts? I've read about a pressure switch and the solenoids but the water does come in and stop when at the level selected so that led to thinking about the timer and control board, the timer seems ok it does turn ok

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the most common cause for this problem is the lid switch itself, Part 916383these have had a lot of problems and we replace these a lot for the reasons you stated, I would replace this and it should fix your issue, you can order this @ thanks Bryan