Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

If I replace an electric range with a separate cooktop and

If I replace an electric range with a separate cooktop and single wall oven, can I connect both to the same single 240 volt line currently used by the range?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well that would depend on the amps for each unit, you would need to check the amps on the breaker and the amps called for on each piece, this should also be done by an electrician who can put in the correct junction box and wiring. hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Edited by a1speedyappliance on 3/10/2010 at 8:24 PM EST
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

New cooktop is rated at 40 Amp, and new oven is 30 Amps. Existing range, which of course has both an oven and cooktop in a single unit draws 40 Amps. Existing line to the range is #8 wire connected to a 40 Amp breaker.

I'm doing the wiring myself, and my question is do I need to run a second 30 Amp line back to the entrance panel, or can both units be connected to the same 40 Amp junction box currently used by the range?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes you will need to run a new line, the amp ratings are to high for the single line, your wiring will overheat and cause a fire, run a new 30 amp from the panel and be safe, thanks Bryan