Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

our refrigerator temperature appears to be going up even though

our refrigerator temperature appears to be going up even though we have it on the coldest setting. The refrigerator is a GE that is about 8 years old. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
can you get me the model #? also is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer section? look real good behind the food, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. XXXXX did not see any frost. The model number is XXXXX GSH25KGMB. Freezer section is not particulalry cold either but the freezer setting is only on the midway point.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok , no frost at all? whats I suggest is pulling the panel off and checking the coil frost pattern, is the fan in the freezer running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The fan is running intermittently which is the usual pattern. What am I looking for in the coil frost pattern and is this potentially a serious issue? Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well if there is an even frosting pattern across all the coils but not completely caked up with frost then the compressor and defrost systems are ok, if there is a lot of frost then you have a defrost problem and this can be easily fixed, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. I went back into the freezer and pulled out the icemaker tray. It was full of ice because the icemaker was left on for a couple of days, I guess. I was not sure which panel you were referring to when you said "pull off the panel" and check the coils. Is that in the back of the freezer? The freezer is definitely running. It was quite cold, colder than when I went in there 10 minutes ago to check. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you need to remove part # XXXXX on this diagram,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Is that on the refrigerator side or the freezer side?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. My bad. There is a light sheen of frost on the panel at the back of the freezer side.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
freezer, I need to go out for some work but will be back around lunch, let me know what you find thanks Bryan ,.P.S. if you find the completely frosted up take a hair dryer and defrost it then put the panel back on, this will run correctly until you get the part, if it is frosted bad you will need the defrost heater most likely its located under the coils , Part 914088thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.