Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have the Kenmore Elite (freezer on top) with ice maker, model

I have the Kenmore Elite (freezer on top) with ice maker, model #70204990. For a few months now water is making its way into the refrigerator. We're able to catch most of it most of the time, but don't know where the problem is. I plan to rip apart the back of the fridge and trace the line to the ice maker. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
its most likely a clogged defrost drain line, this happens a lot on these, you will need to take the back panel off in the freezer and under the coils in the middle there is a drain hole, this is most likely clogged, take a hair dryer or really hot water works best and pour it on the ice until it defrosts and drains freely, if you use hot water get lots of towels and sop the water up as it cools off and pour more until it drains, this will take care of your problem, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you. I will look at that right now. I assume you're referring to everything inside the freezer. Where does the drain line go? Where do I put the towels? I'll start now and give it a go.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
take everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel, under the coils you will see the ice , pour the water on the ice until its gone and it drains down into the pan under the refrigerator, thanks Bryan