Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a maytag ensignia washer - after filling it stopped

Customer Question

I have a maytag ensignia washer - after filling it stopped completely and a strong burning plastic smell is coming out of the unit
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
sounds like the belt has burned up, can you get me the full model #? First, here are some tips to help with your model number:
  1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.
Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

Top-loading washer only

• Under the lid
  • On the back of the control panel
  • On the lower-front or side of the main cabinet body

Front-loading washer only

• Behind the door
  • Behind or on top of the control panel
  • On the side of the unit near the front

Top- or front-loading washer-dryer combination unit

• Inside the dryer door, on the door frame
  • On the top of the dryer
  • On the side of the washer, near the bottom, front
  • Under the washer lid
    thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MAV8557AWW
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok, the first thing you will need to do is bail the water out of the machine and then tip it back , the belt is underneath on this, Part 824667it probably burned up or got stuck, take it off and see if the pump is free and not bound up, this is common on these, let me know what you find, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
belt looks good, and when I pull it there isn't resistance - so it's not bound up either
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok , sorry i was having lunch, so you can turn the belt and tub freely? did the burning smell electrical?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can turn the belt and the tub freely. The smell may be electrical - I thought it smelled more like plastic. I took off the agitator, cleaned everything and put it all back together, unplugged it, plugged it back in and am now testing it in the "mini" load setting. It seems to be working...
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok well if it stops let me know, you may have a bad motor and it shuts off when it gets hot, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the help. Will look into the motor if it shuts off again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok no problem , thanks Bryan