Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Ice dispenser not working and freezer is partially defrosting

Ice dispenser not working and freezer is partially defrosting foods. Lower section of freezer works fine. Can this be a freon issue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer at all ? check real good, is the ice not comming through the door or is this not making ice?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No frost anywhere inside or outside the refridgerator. It will make a tray of ice about once overy couple of days, but it's melting in the catch tray.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok so it melts and then refreezes so it wont dispense?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It doesn't make ice. We have put bagged ice in the catch tray and it melts and re-freezes in the catch tray and makes large clumps of ice. Packaged food thaws out completely, frozen meats stay frozen.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Primarily. Actually, it is dispensing, however, it's only dispensing about three ice cubes a day.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My wife just informed me that the reason we're not getting ice is because the freezer isn't freezing. Again, can this be a freon issue?
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
Bryan is away right now so remove the back panel inside the freezer and tell me how much frost if any is on the coil behind the panel please
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
Hi, this is Bryan, sorry I was having computer trouble, ok, can you remove the back panel in the freezer? we need to see if there is an excessive amount of frost on the coils , can you do that and let me know? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no frost, anywhere !
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok , you took the panel off and there is no frost at all? can you recheck the model # XXXXX cant get this to come up, also is the refrigerator worse than it was the other day?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

SXD22S2W

No change that I can see, frozen foods are slowly thawing out

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok you did remove the back panel in the freezer and there was no frost on any of the coils at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
correct
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok , pull the refrigerator away from the wall and check the compressor , see if it warm, also listen for a click or buzz around every five minutes, feel the compressor to see if its vibrating.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will get back to you momentarily
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Compressor is HOT with a slight vibration
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok is the fan next to the compressor running?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok , you have a sealed system problem, is this under five years old? there is a freon leak and if this is under five years old it may be covered under the sealed system warranty, this unfortunately is not something you can repair, you need to be licensed and have the tools for it, sorry, wish i had better news, you will need to call for service, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.