Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

Where is the defrost drain on my GE Profile Refrigerator/Freezer

Customer Question

Where is the defrost drain on my GE Profile Refrigerator/Freezer - Freezer is on top and refrigerator on bottom? There is water in the refrigerator and the fan is frozen from water build up that froze - beleive the drain is clogged? The unit is about seven years old, not sure of the model number - this same problem happened about three years ago, technician defrosted unit and unclogged defrost drain - I can defrost the unit, but don't know where the drain is or how to unclog - thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Is the cooling coils under the floor of the fridge or behind the back wall. please send me the model number so I can help you better.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe the cooling coils are underneath - I will not be able to send you the model number for about two hrs when I return home, would that be ok and how do I contact you?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Thats ok I don't need now that I know that the coils are under the floor.The drain tube is under the floor and under the cooling coils the drain tube leaves the freezer and goes down to the drain pan under the fridge by the compressor, the drain tube freezes up stopping the defrost water to drain down. so the fridge will have to be turned off, the floor removed and the drain pan thawed till the water starts to drain down to the drain pan.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did that two weeks ago, defrosted everything, put things back together and turned the unit back on - the same thing happened again, so the drain tube must be clogged - how do I clear it after things are defrosted?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
That model and a whle bunch of other models the drain tube goes betwenn the walls so it takes 24 hrs to thaw that drain tube, once thawed pull the fridge out and get a smaller plastic tube and push it up that tube from under the fridge and blow int he tube to clear the tube also take the floor out and then pour hot water in the drain pan so that the water starts to flow down to the drain pan under the fridge
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, I will shut things down when I get home and look under the drain pan to see if I can find the tube - and will let you know when I have things working -

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
The reason it did not work before the drain was not cleared thats why it did it again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when you say the floor removed, do I just pull the drain pan out from under the regrigerator and clean out the drain tube from the bottom
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
The floor in the freezer theres a few screws to remove once their removed lift out the floor in the freezer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK The Model Number of My GE Profile is PTC22MFMARWW

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Once the floor is removed the drain is under 726 this part will be iced up so you have to thaw it out for the 24 hrs then pour water in that part once thawed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I get to the drain pan underneath the unit?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Pull the fridge out and remove the bottom panel you will see the drain pan and the drain tube is just above the pan.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

remove panel in front or back?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Its at the back when you pull the fridge out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you really know the model I am talking about PTC22MFMARWW - this can't be that difficult - please start over - I can't access drain pan from back of unit???
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I don't beleive he knows my unit - I can't follow his instructions
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

# XXXXX is the drain pan and its located by the compressor and the coils # XXXXX but in order to see and get to the pan you have to pull the fridge out and take the bottom cover off the back of the fridge, Hope with this you can find the drain pan.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I simply want to know how to get to and unclog the defrost drain on my GE Profile PTC22MFMARWW refrigerator/freezer?
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 4 years ago.
Remove the inside floor of the freezer and pour boiling water down the drain hole until it flows down freely.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
don't I need to unclog it somewhere else - I poured warm water down a couple of weeks ago and it clogged up again - mind you it was not boiling?
Did the water flow down thw tube?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No sure, because I could never find the bottom of the tube - did not know how to access the drain pan underneath - to I get at it by removing parts in front or back of unit - I tried back of unit by removing screws on plate at bottom back, but couldn't remove it and did not want to force or pry it off?
The drain tube should run down the back of the fridge.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the only tube running out of freezer section I can see on back of fridge is what I beleive to be the water in to the icemaker - the other two tubes I see I beleive are comming out of the back of fridge where the water filter is? don't see drain tube - was told it is inside somwhere on this model and that I can only access it at the drain pan?
It should be in the middle it should be black about a half inch around.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No such tube in the back of my unit?
Ok then you will have to try the boiling water down the tube until it flows down freely.The drain tube is under the fridge it should come out the bottom.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't believe someone can't tell me how do access the drain pan under my unit?
Why do you want the drain pan all it does is hold the water?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been told that I need to unclog the defrost drain tube at the drain pan and to confirm that water is flowing through it when I pour the hot water in from the freezer
You should be able to see the drain tube under the fridge.