Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My frgidaire range elements do not work

My frgidaire range elements do not work

Thanks for the question.

So you say you have power to the unit did you check that with a volt meter at the terminal block in the back of the stove.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. I have 120 V on the appropriate legs and 220 V in accordance with the diagrams on the paperwork on the back of the unit.
Check L1 and L 2 on the control board at the back you should get the voltage there as well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did that. I can check it again when I get home, but I am at the office now. I have check all of the L posts and control board spots.

I looked at the diagram and if that control board fails it cuts power to the top burners as well check the wiring diagram when you get home .or check this one.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

At first I had no power at all. No clock, no oven, no stovetop elements. I did have power to the warming drawer and the warming element. I called the same site you referenced and the guy said you almost certainly need mart #20, the main control panel. I ordered it and replaced it. The clock then worked and so did the oven plus the two warmers referenced above. I then figured the two individual control circuit boards needed replaceing. I ordered two, but only recieved one. I replaced the left panel and got no response. Does that make any since?

It kind of makes you think that the other control would solve this problem would you say from what your saying its the only part that was not replaced.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. Are those two control panels independent to each side, or do they work in tandem. I looked at the schematic and it almost looks like they work together, but that pushes my knowledge of electronics. What do you think?
Count four connections down on the neutral line follow that line it goes to a limit switch theres also a thermal fuse in the bottom drawer section # XXXXX check those two.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will check those out when I get home. I will contact you back in a few hours from home to let you know if that helps. Thank you in the mean time. How do I respond at that time?
Just log back in when you get a chance.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure how do do that. Can you tell me where the fuse is? As I look at the entire back of the unit, there is a cicuit board down low on the left side of the oven (on the back) It looks like the power for the stovetop originates there, goes to the burner card on the right and then completes the circuit through the burner (97 A) card on the left. Any suggestions?
You said that first you had no power to the stove at all I just have this feeling that your not getting 220 volts to the stove double check that to make sure .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have 127 between the red and white as well as between the black and white at the main connection to the stove. I have 250 V between the red and black legs.

I have 127 V between the PI an P2,3,4,and 5 on the lower control card.

I have 122 V between P10 and P 6,7,8,and 9, also on the lower circuit card.

Where else should I check?

I will opt out and see if another expert has had the same problem ,another one will pick it up sorry I just ran out of things to check.

Edited by appliance doctor on 3/3/2010 at 1:25 AM EST
is this the board you replaced? Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, that is the lower board, I replaced the main top control board. The one that has the clock and all on it. That got the clock and oven working, but not the stve top units.

all of the power to the unit for the burners run through the lower board and since you had a power surge its almost certainly blown, you need to replace that, the part # is,

316239403 you can get this @ Sears for $135.00, heres a link, A&modelNumber=PLEF398CCD&keyId=0097&pageId=00001&productTypeId=0124111&searchModelNumber=PLEF398CCD&subCompDesc=Backguard&brandDesc=FRIGIDAIRE&modelDesc=ELECTRIC-RANGE&blt=11 thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, I'm going to order it today, I'll let you know the results, probably on Monday as I won't get it until then.
ok thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.