Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a amana side by side refrigerator that started leakleaking

I have a amana side by side refrigerator that started leakleaking water underneath, not inside. The leak began after I rolled the refrigerator awaway from the wall to clean behind it. I checked the water inlet connection and there is no leakage there. I checked the water fill outlet and there is no leak there. I turned off the water to the icemaker and the leak stopped.   I turned the water on and the leak began again, with no leakage fron the inlet connection. The leak seems to be comming from underneath but I can not see the exact source. Do you have any suggestions for next steps to diagnose and fix the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  tinman replied 4 years ago.

When you pulled the fridge out you probably pulled the water supply hose tight. Breaking a connection in your hose. On the front of your fridge on the very bottom at the floor. There is a vented cover there, pull this cover off by pulling on each side of it. You should see a small hose/water line there that goes into your door and up to your tap water dispenser. There is a connection there that enables the door to come off if necessary. Check to see if the leaking is occurring at this connection.

Thanks,

Tinman

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked the nylon connection at the front and did not notice any moisture. The connector did not seem to be made up very tight as I could get about a quarter turn tighter just using my fingers. How tight should this connector be? Is hand tight OK or should it be tightened with a cresent wrench?

I turned on the water and the connector showed no leakage but there still seemed to be water driping on the floor from under the refrigerator. There was about a quarter inch of water in the bottom tray under the coils. I tried to dry this area out as much as possible to see if water would continue to accumulate. After I did this the water seemed to be less under the refrigerator. I now have everything as dry as possible and will wait to see if the water begins to accumulate.

Please advise how tight the nulon connector should be made up. Hand tight? or wrench tight?

Also, I turned off the water before going to bed to avoid water on the floor in the morning. This morning I turned the water back on and checked all fittings in back and nylon fitting in front. All were not leaking. However, shortly after I went to fill a glass with water from the door I noticed a big puddle on floor in under the right hand door (referigerator side, not freezer). When I removed the bottom drawer I saw water in bottom inside. I dried the water. Then with the right door open I filled a glass with water and saw immediately that water began to flow into the recess inside refrigerator bottom. I noticed a plastic cowling with a circular recess on bottom inside back wall. The water seemed to be comming from the bottom of this cowling. I tried to pull the cowling away to look behind it but I could not pull it away for fear of breaking the plastic. Is there a way to remove this cowling to get to the backside?

Expert:  tinman replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Just snug really good with a crescent wrench. But before you do that have someone fill a glass or two with water while you watch for leaks under the frig. If you could turn the nut with your hand this could very well be where the water is coming from. What is the model number of this refrigerator? I need to check on how the water hose is routed. tinman
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The model number is XXXXX

There is no leak from the connector.

The leak is coming from the back wall of the refrigerator behind the lower most vegetable drawer. I think if I could get the cowling/cover off this area of the back wall I could see where the water is flowing from. I do not know what the cover is covering. It is so strange that when I fill a glass of water the dispenser works fine but then water begins to flow as noted above. When the dispenser is not being used there is no water flow from the back wall of the refrigerator.

Let me know what you think the fix might be.

Expert:  tinman replied 4 years ago.

Hi, your problem is a blocked defrost drain line. You can open the drain by getting a small tube, place tube in the defrost inlet. Then blow on the tube. You can also open with compressed air. Or you can use a small wire to run down the defrost drain line. A blocked defrost drain will cause the water to accumulate under the crisper drawers of your refrigerator.

I am sorry but I have a family member who has just gone to the hospital, it serious. I am going to have to opt out of this question. Hopefully if you need more help another expert will pick the question up. I believe though your problem is a blocked defrost drain tube. thanks, tinman

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer's for your appliance questions, Myself and all the other experts are anxious to help you with your problem today. If you will please explain your problem and the model and serial number we can get started...

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chas,

Amana side by side refrigerator, model number is XXXXX Purchased in 1992.

This morning when I used the water dispenser on the freezer door, water began to flow from the recess on the back wall of the refrigerator behind the lowermost vegetable drawer ultimately leaking on the floor when I open the refrigerator door. After removing the vegetable drawer and drying the area thoroughly, I left the door open while i filled another glass with water. The dispenser works fine but while the glass is filling and shortly thereafter water begins to flow from the recess to the bottom of the refrigerator. I have not used the dispenser all day today and there is no sign of water leaking in the refrigerator. The only time water leaks is when the dispenser is used. There is a plastic cover on the back wall that is clearly where the water comes from when the dispenser is operated. I tried to pull the cover away so I could see where the water was coming from but was afraid I would break it if I pulled too hard. The water comes from behind this cover. I have never had this problem before and do not understand how the dispenser can cause water to flow in the bottom of the refrigerator. As long as I do not use the dispenser there is no problem with leakage.

Do you know how to remove the plastic cover? Do you know what is behind the cover that could be leaking when the dispenser is used?

Please send me an e-mail when you respond so I will know to access the web page.

Thanks,

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

The should also be a number on the model and serial number plate that begins with the letter "P" can you see if you can get that, your model number is XXXXX coming up in our database..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The number beginning with "P" is P1120203WL. The other number is XXXXX

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

The cover should only be held in with tabs, it is a coil of hose behind that cover, Taking off the cover you should see exactly where it is leaking, the repair kit for a leaking water coil is d7787801q, You can order the parts you need from the following places, http://www.apwagner.com/, http://www.repairclinic.com/, or http://www.partstore.com/, all of these places offer easy returns and reasonable prices for their items.

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Part 140341

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chas,

Once the cover was removed it was easy to see a crack in the tubing just as it entered the fridge. As there was no slack to repair it from inside I pushed some of the tubing back through the hole so I could repair it from the back of fridge. My plan is to cut out the cracked section and join the tubing back together with a coupling. I have a plastic "Quick Coupling" that has o-ring seals and you just push ends into it and I have a metal coupling that that can be used for plastic tubing and it requires tightening with a wrench.

I would like to use the "quick coupling" but not sure if it will seal as well as something I can tighten with a wrench. Do you think one of these is any better that the other for this particular application?

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

That is a JOHN GUEST fitting you have, and the replacement kit would have came with the same part, if you have one of these it will work well for you. they are great for repairs of tubing when you have the correct size to do it with..

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chase,

Just knowing that I could safely remove the cover because it was only attached with a plastic push/pull type screw/dowel made all the difference. Everything is now buckled back up and operational without any leaks.

Thanks for your help today.

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Your Welcome

Chas