Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi, I have a 4 burner Bosch gas convection oven. It is about

Hi, I have a 4 burner Bosch gas convection oven. It is about 5 years old. About a month ago, one of the burners automatic ignition stopped working. It makes the clicking noise, but doesn't light. I have to light it with a match. Now, a few days ago, another burner is doing the same thing! So, I have to light it with a match. Is there something I can do to remedy this situation? I hope it doesn't mean a service call...

Thanks for your help.

can you get us the model #?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The model number starts with HGS. I got that off the literature that came with the range. I don't know where to find (or how to find) the actual model number. It is a 4 burner gas convection oven.
First, here are some tips to help with your model number:
  1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.
Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

• Inside the cooktop--if the top lifts up
  • On the outside, bottom of the unit
  • Inside the top of the vent duct--if it's a "downdraft" unit

• Under one of the surface burners, or inside the cooktop--if the top lifts up
  • On the outside, bottom of the unit

Gas or Electric Oven

• On oven side of the door jamb (with the door open)
  • On the lower drawer jamb (with the bottom drawer open)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I found the model number. (I opened the warming drawer and it was on the side that you see after you open the drawer.) It is HGS255UC/01
if more than one burner is going out and not lighting you will need to replace the spark module, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you can get this @ for around $28.00, as far as where its located on your oven the diagrams don't say, probably in the back of the control panel or behind the back panel though, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1-At first just one burner was not working... Several weeks later the second burner would not light. Does that still mean that the Spark module needs to be replaced? Is it just one spark module that makes all 4 burners light, or 1 for the back burners and 1 for the front burners...?

2- I feel that I am a fairly "handy" person, but I have never repaired a range. Do you think this is a "do-it-yourself" job, or a service call?
theres only one spark module for all four burners these start to get weak and the spark isn't strong enough to light the burners, you can try a little sand paper on the spark electrodes at the burners, sometimes they get dirty and don't spark good, otherwise you need the module, I believe you can change this yourself if you can locate it, just do one wire at a time, thanks Bryan