Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have the Whirlpool top freezer, bottom frige. The freezer

I have the Whirlpool top freezer, bottom frige. The freezer quit working but the frige is fine. I thought it was the defrost timer, but there was no ice build up on the timer. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
if the freezer has failed your refrigerator is soon to follow. The refrigerator only steals air from the freezer to cool down. A defrost problem would actually affect the refrigerator and not the freezer for a long time so you don't have a defrost problem. You have a compressor or freon problem. This isn't something you can personally fixed because you need to be licensed to work on a freon system and repair costs start at about $350 if there is just a leak and then price goes up from there---so it may not even be worth repairing at this time.