Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi!, I have a 5 year old GE QuietPower1 (GLD4200L00BB, builders

Hi!, I have a 5 year old GE "QuietPower1" (GLD4200L00BB, builders special!) dishwasher which has been a relitively decent machine until lately when, what I believe is during the draining process, has a very loud (vibration) mechanical (pump?) draining noise. I've removed the drain cover and was able to remove some minor debris from the area but nothing viewable appears amiss to my untrained eye!
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Danny.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
when the motor gets loud it's not likely to have something in side it unless it sounds like gravel is inside the pump. If it's just vibrating really loudly, this means that your pump is going out and will need to be replaced. Here is a link to the part you will need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX "accept" how unusual is it to have the pump go bad at less than 5 years of age? (Running only since 12/05!).

Also, noticed the part number doesn't show my model of dishwasher, is this still valid?

And (last question!) is pulling the machine out and getting to that ~$50 pump easy enough for someone mechanically inclined?! :)

Thanks,

D-

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
not unusual at all on this unit. This drain pump is the number 1 item that fails and it almost always gets fairly noisy within 3 or 4 years. The part number is XXXXX and to replace it, it's very easy. The hardest part is uninstalling the entire dishwasher because the drain pump is located in the back left corner of the dishwasher.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Promise I won't keep asking questions but if I don't have the "gravel"/debris type noise, just the loud humming/vibration noise, is there any danger running the dishwasher, like the pump totally breaking down and leaking (my wife's fear!) or will it just stop operating eventually but most likely not leak? (She keeps running over to it when the noise starts, interuppting the operation (opening the door and closing) which stops the noise for a little bit during the cycle. She does this 3-4 times during the cycle!).

Do I need to have any new hose clamps, etc. or does the new pump come with those if necessary?

(You make a better living being able to stay home and deal with customers online instead of running around ("truck-roll")? (You don't have to answer, just curious! It sounds pretty smart!) I'll recommend this on-line service for sure!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
you don't need any new hose clamps, the others are just tension clamps and can be reuses. As for problems running the unit? Almost none, eventually it'll stop working but there have been people that have used it for 3 years before that happened. I've never seen one leak or anything yet.

I do make a good living doing this but to stay up on the appliances you need to work as a technician in the field as well so I actually work two jobs and it's a lot of work but neither job is all the tiresome so 15 hour days don't bother me.