Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Kenmore Elite 795 Er and FF for a couple days

Customer Question

Kenmore Elite 795 Er and FF for a couple days and fan sounded strange (as if slightly blocked) Now stopped running completely and I have food quickly defrosting. I just chipped out a bunch of ice out of freezer. (really strange for a modern freezer) Any way I can access the fan to try to make sure it's not blocked/broken anymore?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you need a new fan motor. The Er FF means that your freezer fan isn't running correctly so if you open the freezer you probably don't hear the main fan running inside. It could also be that frost or ice has stopped the blade from moving if you saw a lot of frost build up, so if you need to clear all the frost, use a hair dryer to defrost behind the back panel. In order to access the freezer fan you need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back wall inside the freezer. In the middle behind this back panel the fan motor is located.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. That makes sense, however we cannot figure out how to remove the back wall as you advised. Do we have to take the ice maker out in order to remove the wall?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
yes, you will need to remove the icemaker, and all the screws holding the back panel on.