Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

I have a side by side frigidaire refrigerator with an ice and

Customer Question

I have a side by side frigidaire refrigerator with an ice and water dispenser on the door. 3 or 4 days ago the unit started leaking from the underside of the unit. I replaced the filter but it did not cure the problem. What else can I do or try to fix the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 6 years ago.

Where do you thing the water is coming from?

Underneath the freezer side or from the fridge side?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Definitely coming out on the freezer side!

Expert:  Francis replied 6 years ago.

We have lots of places to look at on the freezer side.

Is it continuous? or re-curring after 6-8 hours? A lot or just a small pool?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It appears to be continuous. Fairly large amount of water. It totally saturates 2 to 3 big bath towells every 12 hours.

Expert:  Francis replied 6 years ago.

Oh. Then you can trace it.

You can remove the front grill of the unit then look underneath the freezer side and you can trace where the water is coming out.

You have an elbow joint just at the bottom of the freezer lower door hinge. Please check if it is coming from there.

Then at the back of the whole unit, there is a cover for the compressor, once remove, you can trace the water inlet solenoid valve which could be underneath the freezer side too. Please check that side also. Trace the water line that came from the tap at the sink.

Then there is also this water line that goes up towards the ice maker. Sometimes this water lines cracks open too .

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Not sure if I'll need you more. It will take me a while to see if I can trace the leak as you've suggested. Then you'll have to tell me what to do about it once I find it.

Bear with me OK?

Expert:  Francis replied 6 years ago.
I will but my problem would be to stay on line. I might log off anytime and will be back after 6 hours.

here is your parts diagram. It may help you trace where water lines would be located.

Choose other drawings from the left side. It would reveal other parts of the unit.

If you have a cracked waterline, then replace the water line. If it is just the connector, you can try pulling the hose a little bit to tighten the collar.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Found the leak in thback corner of the freezer side. A small feeder hose came out of a connection. Removed the connector but cant fit the hose back in to it. Is there some magic to fittinng this back up? Very frustrating!

Expert:  Francis replied 6 years ago.

Usually the connector that they use are quick release fittings. There is a collar that you need to press down in order to pull the hose off. Then in order to put it back in, just push it all the way in then pull gently in order to lock the hose with out a leak.

This is the connector I am referring to. Please click the blue word. The collar is the part colored gray in the picture.