Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an Amana model A212 washer. The tub will fill but when

I have an Amana model A212 washer. The tub will fill but when it is supposed to start agitating for the wash cycle nothing happens. I hear an humming sound and the smell of burning rubber. WHen I move the timer to rinse/spin cycle the agitator will work once again. What are the possible causes and is it worth fixing? Can a fairly handy person make the repairs themselves?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
if it's siezing up , try removing the belts and see if the motor will run without the belts attached. If so, then you have a transmission that's jamming up and that is a huge and expensive problem and definitely not worth fixing. The other possibility is that you could have a bad contact on the start widing for your motor. If that is the case you'd need a new motor which again is fairly expensive at about $200. There aren't really any other possibilities, but the two that there are---are both quite bad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I know some of these older models are very good. At the cost of $200 would it be worth repairing? Also, is this something a handyman can repair? Does the cost your indicate include the labor or is that just for parts only?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
It's something that a handy man could replace if it's the motor, but not a transmission. Those costs are for the parts only. Labor would be about $300 for the transmission and $150 with trip and labor for the motor. I wouldn't think repairing the unit is a good option myself.