Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

How to find parts for old GE side-by-side refrigerator w/icemaker.

Customer Question

How to find parts for old GE side-by-side refrigerator w/icemaker. Motor underneath the fridge part has stopped working. Relay switch was changed a few months ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a model number for the unit? It should be located on a tag near the bottom right hinge of the refrigerator or on a sticker near the ceiling in the refrigerator. Also, by motor, do you mean the compressor? the big black round metal thing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes -- it is big black and sealed, and it weighs about 20 pounds.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
that is the compressor, you won't be able to replace this yourself because you must be licensed to work on a freon system, you also need about $1500 in tools to fill the unit back up with freon and seal the system again. That being said, you can order the part if you have the full model number and go to Repairclinic.com. It's about a $550 repair.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But what do I search for on Repairclinic if I don't know the model number? The fridge is about 35-40 years old. I did search under "compressor," "motor," and "compressor motor" but nothing came up that looked like it weighed that much.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
you need a model number. You cannot fix the appliance without a model number. Once you have the model number you can search through the parts on the model. There are specific parts for every single model so without it--you'd need to try and retrofit a compressor, which can be done, but you're looking at a task that would require an excellent technician to figure out how to do such a thing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That I am afraid is what I will have to do-- because I don't have the model number. Can you tell me what a compressor that may fit my fridge would look like? Is it available on RepairClinic.com, and is there any other item that I would need to purchase with it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
The compressor looks like a large big black round metal object. It comes with everything you need as for as dryer filter and overload relay.and copper tubing.