Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My friend has a GE microwave, model # JVM1331WW005. The device

My friend has a GE microwave, model # XXXXX The device is stone dead except for a "P" on the readout. (So it has power.) There isn't a manual available on-line to decode this message. What does it mean?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
That message actualy doesn't mean anything. Try unplugging the unit for 60 seconds to reset the control board. Then plug the unit back in and if it still doesn't work, you'll need to replace the display control board because it's shorted. Here is a link to the part you'd need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Because the plug may be inaccessible I'll turn off the breaker, which would do the same thing. If it is the display control board, would you agree it's not cost effective to spend $125 for a part (plus installation) for a 12-year old microwave?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
I would agree that it's probably not worth putting that kind of money into a 12 year old unit, and yes turning the circuit breaker off will do the same thing as unplugging the unit.