Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

after a long power outage and fluctuating power from a generator

Customer Question

after a long power outage and fluctuating power from a generator my electrolux side by side frig is freezing everything even though I turned it down all the way. It will not stop running unless I unplug it. The freezer seems to be fine. What would be the most likely cause of this?

Thanks,
Ryan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 6 years ago.
With the controls turned all the way down determine if the compressor shuts off. There are two controls - one for freezer and one for the fresh food. The one for freezer is the one that turns off the compressor. The one for the fresh food turns off the freezer fan and controls the damper that lets cold air from the freezer from freezer intop the fresh food section. So if the compressor never shuts off the control fro the freezer is not working but if the compressor does shut off then the control for the fresh food or the damper assembly is not working
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I never turned down the freezer, but the fan never stopped blowing from the freezer when I turned down the frig. I don't think the compressor was running the whole time
Replace the refrigerator side temp control - - part numberNNN-NN-NNNNwww.repairclinic.com is the cheapest place to get this part