Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 36 Tappan gas range, model#TGF657BFB5. The lower

I have a 36" Tappan gas range, model#TGF657BFB5. The lower oven burner (bake) will not ignite. A local repairman replaced the igniter, still did not ignite. He check wiring, did several other checks and concluded he had a bad igniter. He got a second one and installed it. Still did not work. He said the only other thing he could think of was the electronic oven control. When he called and told me the part would cost $224.00, I said no and paid him for his calls. He ate the cost of the second igniter he installed. Any ideas? If so, could you direct me to a knowledgable repair man?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
do you know if the igniter is glowing or not when you try to light the burner?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The lower igniter (bake) does not glow as does the upper (broil) when you push the preheat button.In a minute or two, the upper burner will ignite but the lower does not. Has a strong gas smell.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok if the igniter isn't glowing then it either isn't getting power, or isn't completing the neutral like. You will need to check the power going to the igniter. There are 2 wires going to the igniter and you will need a multimeter to check and see what is bad. If you check power from 1 wire to the other when bake is turned on and you have 120 volts, then you have a bad igniter. If you don't, then check power from each wire to ground. If you get 120 volts on one of the wires, then you aren't completing your neutral and you either have a bad electronic gas safety valve. If you get no reading of power at all, then you have a bad control board.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In your answer in the first sentence, did you mean "or isn't completing the neutral liink?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
yes, sorry I meant isn't completing the neutral line.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.