Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

my refridgerator comes on for an hour and shuts off for 4 hrs.. I

my refridgerator comes on for an hour and shuts off for 4 hrs..
I cleaned the dust off the coils and I turned up the thermostats to high on both the freezer and the fridge... pls tell me if i have done something wrong??? because the same thing keeps happening, i need your help... my food is melting.!!! Help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 6 years ago.
eather the start device on the compressor is breaking down or the compressor is getting hot and shutting down ,, you can replace the start device (overload and relay) and if it keeps shutting off then the compressor is the problem / thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where do i get the start device??? if i want to replace it?
what do you mean by overload and relay?
If the compressor is the problem, what should i do?? can i replace the compressor? or do I have to call for a technician ????
you can get the start device which is the overload and relay at a appliance parts dealer near you and that is the electronics on the compressor ane if the compressor is bad you will have to get a technician to replace it and this will cost between $500 and $700 to have it swapped out and recharged
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what should i set the thermostat on? High?? it seem if i keep my small electric fan on the compressor the it will start again and run for about an hour... but then shut off for 6 hours..ok thanks
keep the fridge on high and the freezer on med so it will let more air into the fridge too.
before i go off line, take my insulin and rest up is there anything else i can do for you today before I go ,,, Larry
i will be off line for the rest of the day to take my insulin and rest up so if you need more information please ask now or please hit the accept button for me or i will be back in the morning / thanks Larry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok speak with you in the morning and let you know if i survived thru the nite... sorry to delay for shots.
no problem ,, have a good evening