Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

How to fix a washing machine that wont drain

How to fix a washing machine that won't drain
Submitted: 4 years ago via Answerly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 4 years ago.
hi is this a top load
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, it's a front loading washing machine
hi are you getting a code
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no place for a code. Just different buttons to select different cycles, speeds, etc.
hi do u see a a little whit door at the bootom of the machine in front that is the filter area we need to see that there is no gebris or coins in the blade area blocking it from spinning
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No white door at bottom that I see. There is a rubber seal completely around doorway to front loader. Sometimes coins and debris collect there but not so this time
hi this is the drain pump if you look at the picture it has a twist off knob in front for access
(Click to enlarge)
Grid is 1 inch square
Item #
1373005
Price
$88.90
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I need to start taking apart the washer to get access to the pump? Why do you show me a picture of the pump
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm about to leave for the night so I won't be able to respond. I'm under the understanding a "Craig" is working on it?????
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX previous expert has opted out working with you on this problem, I ma be able to help, Can I get the complete serial number from the door area of the machine?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for responding. The serial # XXXXX XXXXX It's only 1.5 years old. I have to leave for work but I will respond when I get home. I'm at pacific time.

Actually, myself or my husband will be available intermittantly throughout the day so a response would be appreciated. We may not be able to get right back but would like to be trying to get this resolved today if possible. Thank you

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

On the front of the machine all the way at the bottom of it, you will see 3 screws that can be removed to get access to the drain pump, when this cover is removed you will see the pump with a clean out plug, you can remove this plug by hand and make sure that it is not clogged up, be prepared for water to come out of it, then reinstall and try it again, if this done fix the problem you will need to replace the pump, however most likely a cleaning of the filter will do it for you..

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chas,

Sorry, unable to attempt washer fix today. We will try tomorrow and hopefully we'll get it fixed. We plan on trying your suggestion.

Cindy

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

No problem, let me know.

Chas

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chas,

OK, We cleaned out the drain out plug. It was pretty junky (wet linty stuff, gravel, etc) We obviously had to drain out all the water as well. So I put approx. 4 articles of the wet clothing and ran the rinse and spin, with the extra rinse option (per manual) and when that seemed to do no good, I tried to run it through like a regular wash cycle. It seemed to run at first, then completely black on the panel. Now I try to run another load and it won't do anything. I can't believe this washer is only 1.5 yrs old.

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

This is not good, you cannot get the unit to turn on at all now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It turns on, I set the cycle just like always, it clicks on like normal, but then nothing. Ususally I start to hear the water run and it's not doing that. Maybe it's not running or filling because there is some water in the bottom, but it won't spin either, so no way to drain water unless I drain from the plug, like we did earlier.
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

When you put it into drain and spin does the door lock?, also can you hear any humming noises from underneath?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the door locks and I can hear a faint hum.
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

The pump may be jammed with something, you may need to remove the pump and make sure that it is clean real good, otherwise you need to replace it with part number W10130913, You can order the parts you need from the following places, http://www.apwagner.com/, http://www.repairclinic.com/, or http://www.partstore.com/, all of these places offer easy returns and reasonable prices for their items.

Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is removing and cleaning the pump fairly easy? Just shut off power source, drain water again, and start unscrewing?
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

The pump on this model should be held on with one screw, then the 2 clamps for the hoses, If the impeller did not get damaged and if there is something blocking it from spinning and removing the offending item, it may work, however not always will this be the case. You may still end up replacing the pump..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, so bear with me. I got it drained and the 2 screws from the bottom out, and one clamp off. How to get the bigger clamp off? Do you pinch to release
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got the clamp off. Now what to check...impeller?
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

If you have it out, just make sure that the impeller turn freely and nothing is inside..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK there was a bobby pin in the impeller! Is it supposed to turn in increments.....kind of like spring loaded? I push on of the "propeller blades" and it turns 1/4 rotation and then stops until I push it again. Is that normal?
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

A bobby pin will do it, yes it is magnetic drive so it should do that..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more thing before I put it all back together and try again. Is the green housing unit for the pump supposed to have liquid in it....maybe dirty water? I can see the liquid moving around. Don't think I can get to it
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure what you are talking about, but there should be no problem with it, try it and see if it works..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got it all back together. Set it to rinse and spin. Have to wait 40 minutes but I think we got it this time!!!!!! It's running at least.....so far, so good. I'll respond in 40
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chas,

While I'm waiting to see if that works, do you know of any quick fix for a Maytag microwave where the plate doesn't rotate. The middle piece is not broken, and the control button on the panel is set to spin. I will increase your monies.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cancel Chas. The middle piece is broken. I thought i had checked that a long time ago
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

No problem we worked a long time on this problem haven't we???

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chas,

Works great. Thanks so much. Now I know what an impeller is! I will recommend you. Thanks for your timeliness and for sticking with me. You should have received $30 instead of the $14.

Thank you, Cindy

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Your welcome, Thank You

Chas