Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Electric Neptune Dryer problem. Smells hot and the drum wont

Electric Neptune Dryer problem. Smells hot and the drum won't turn. Buzzing sound when turned on. Drum will turn when manually started. Belt looks good. I've had it apart so it must be a motor. Model # XXXXX
that is correct if you can manually start it but it won't start on it's own, it means that your start winding in your motor has gone bad. You will need to replace the motor to correct the issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can I order the motor and replace it myself? I've replaced the boot on the washer.

I'm pretty handy and I've seen the inside of the dryer now. Let me know and then I'll accept your answer.

you can yes, these motors are about $150 and you'll need to take the drum out of the dryer and remove the front panel to access the motor, but it's one of the easier motors to replace.