esequiel walker
esequiel walker, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp
15396620

We installed a Whirlaway 391 wate disposal unit about 5 years

Customer Question

We installed a Whirlaway 391 wate disposal unit about 5 years ago. Since then it has worked well until about a week ago. The waste matter suddenly stopped clearing from the bowl. The motor still runs fine and the waste is distributed to the side of the bowl. Water is dispersed well. I had a plumber look at the unit but he could find nothing wrong. He suggested the cutters may be blunt and I should consider installing a new unit. This does not seem logical to me as it worked fine one minute and 10 minutes later it had ceased to work whereas I would have expected a gradual deterioration if there was a bluntness issue although the waste left in the bowl does appear to be quite large e.g orange peel about onecm sq. Any suggestions as to apossible cause. Stuart
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 7 years ago.
hi ok we need to see that the blades are not jammed up due to rust and wear and tear ,that is normally what happens can you get a screw driver or something to spin the blades they shouldnot be getting stuck unless rust is playing a factor
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes blades do not appear to be jammed and can be spun quite easily
have you checked for maybe a plumbing issue because everything should go through
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes I had a plumber check the unit last week and he could find nothing wrong. There seems to be no blockage as liquids disperse very freely. There is no sign at all of rust. It just seems that the waste material is not being cut small enough to disperse

hi the only thing is the disposal itself nothing else
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. The waste matter just remains in the bowl and does not disperse
i dont think the blades are spinning enough to shoot the waste and all down
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If that is correct what remedial action do I need to take? When I look down into the the unit with the motor running the waste is forced to the side of the bowl but does dot pass through and disperse. I aso sense that there is less vibration from the unit when it is running then there used to be
yes that makes sense to what im saying , the only action would be replace the unit
pressing accept vfor my help pays me any questions
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had another look at the unit while it is running and it appears to turning as fast as it ever did. The waste is definitely being pushed to the side of the bowl and with the rubber out of the sink the blades are turning fast enough to throw much of the the waste back up into the sink
ok so what do u think
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The plumber thought it was operating OK with no blockage. The only thing he thought was that the blades may be blunt and not cutting the waste small enough for it to disperse. Is that possible and can the blades be sharpened. Is the anything inside the unit that could cause it to run slower that it Should?

I have to go out for about 90 minutes and will reply to your response once I return.

Thanks Stuart

sir i dont know of any place to just buy the blades just a complete unit. with warranty.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One final question. Would there be any point in me removing the unit from under the sink and are any special tools required. If so is there anything I can check to establish whether the unit is operating correctly?