esequiel walker
esequiel walker, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp
15396620

Hi, i have a GE SBS fridge, model gsa201epafbb. The fridge

Hi, i have a GE SBS fridge, model gsa201epafbb. The fridge is not defrosting. The defrost element and terminator check fine with a meter. Could anything else be the problem before i replace the very expensive PCB? The fridge works fine except for not defrosting. Thanks I have also used a temperature recorder to track temperature change in the freezer, apart from a few abnormal fluctuations, i saw nothing to indicate the fridge attempted to defrost at any time
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 7 years ago.
hi these refrigerators have many issues but if the heater is good and the terminator is also checking good then your only option is to replace the control board apparently the relays are staying closed not allowing the heater to melt the ice. presing accept pays me i can get you a price on the board
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

One last question, if the control board is actualy trying to do a defrost but the relay is no good, doesnt the control board give a set amount of time for a response from the terminator to signify a succesfull defrost before activating the compressor again? i would assume the period that the board is trying to do a defrost would result in a temperature spike, albeit a smaller one than a defrost causes. i am seeing no period of inactivity by the compressor as the PCB attempts to defrost as indicated by my temperature recorder.

Or is it possible that the PCB is detecting an abnormality in the defrost circuit and skipping defrost completely?

hi that would be a matter of the relays not responding it can not skip this function