Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Kenmore Elite Wash machine is full of water but wont start

Kenmore Elite Wash machine is full of water but won't start cycle. Hear a hum when you pull out selector knob. Any ideas?
Hi, there is something stuck in the pump that is seizing the motor. You will need to take the spray arm out and then take the pump apart from inside the machine. You will most likely find some of those bread bag ties or a piece of broken glass. If nothing is found when you have the sump apart a motor winding is bad and you will have to replace the motor. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a clothes wash machine, not dishwasher. I think your answer refers to a dishwasher?
Ok I apologize. can you give me the model number so I don't mess up again :) Should be under the lid if top load or inside the door if front load. Will look similar to this 110.76427437
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Haha, no problem. 110.22942100
Ok lets try this again. Is the hum noise coming from the timer or is it coming from inside the machine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
From inside the machine, as if the motor is getting power but can't move maybe.
Ok after the embarrassment has subsided from my last diagnosis :) the problem here is going to be a broken coupler or a sock stuck in the pump. Click HERE for a video that will show you how to replace the coupler. When you get to the part of taking the pump out check inside the pump for anything stuck in there. Click HERE for the replacement part. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Since the tank is full of water, when I pull the hoses off of the pump, I assume there will be a small river of water flowing out of the hose? If so, I can have some buckets ready. If it is something like a sock (or broken glass..hahaha) will it literally be in the hose or right at the pump? Or is there somewhere further up stream it could be? And if it is the coupler will I see all three tabs sheered off? or is there something else to check for? Thanks!
LOL the piece of glass/sock will be right in the pump jamming it up and stopping the motor turning. But I think the problem is with the coupler. You can actually check the coupler first. Instead of un hooking the pump just push it aside and the drop the motor out. If the coupler is bad then replace it and then put everything back together then pump the water out. Or you can have a bucket ready :)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Coupler looks good to my untrained eye. So looks like I'm getting out the buckets.
you took the coupler right out? nothing broken?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I took the coupler apart and see no obvious damage. I then disconnected the pump and associated hoses. Didn't realize I needed the buckets that quick and got just a wee bit of water on the floor. We then bucketed out the rest of the water. The hose from the tub to the pump is clear. I used a large flat screwdriver to spin the impeller on the pump and it appears clear as well. Any ideas?
Ok only thing left is bad motor or bad transmission. Do you see any oil on the bottom or in and around the coupler?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No obvious oil. Should I be able to turn the wash drum by hand now that everything is apart? I can't, just wondering if I should be able to. So, how much are we looking at for a new motor? The washer is 8 years old now, are we better off just replacing the whole unit?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the motor sitting next to me at the moment and I notice when I spin the shaft one direction and then the other I hear clicking. Is that normal?
Yes the clicking is normal, try to turn the coupler that hooks up to the transmission by hand.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I turn the coupler on the transmission the agitator (I think that is the right term) moves one way or the other. What are we looking at if it is a bad motor as far as cost? The washer is 8 years old now. Are we better off replacing the whole thing?
ok if the transmission turns when you twist the coupler on the transmission side then the motor is bad. The motor is around $140, if the washer is 8 years old and has had heavy use (2-3 washes a day) I might think about replacing it. If it has had light use then I might think about the motor being replaced.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just found the motor on the Sears site you sent me, $184. Know of any other sites to get one cheaper? The washer does get used twice a day. Looking online now, a new Kenmore Elite is anywhere from $700-$900. Tough call. Thank you very much for your help. Hopefully I can put this thing back together now.
No all the suppliers I use it's around the same price. You don't need to buy Kenmore you know. your machine was actually made by whirlpool, if you buy a whirlpool direct drive machine from lowes or home depot it will run you $500. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for that suggestion. Any model you recommend? Are the agitator-less models better?
Front loads are really good but if you don't want to spend that much I would stick to a direct drive with an agitator. The cabrio and calypso are terrible machines. Kenmore have these machines but go by a different name. I think the Kenmore version is the oasis. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Very interesting. The Cabrio & Oasis are significantly more expensive than the other models they offer in top load. I have heard many issues with odors in the front load models.
The front load models are great for cleaning your clothes and also for energy efficiency. They also use allot less water. If looked after correctly there won't be an issue with odors. Leave the door open slightly when not in use and run a affresh tablet through once a month. What you save in water and energy over it's life time will pay for the machine. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You have been a huge help. Thanks a ton Mike.
Your welcome and thanks! Have a great weekend.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh, one more quick question. Is there any way to tell from that model number as to the capacity of our current washer? Sorry to bug you again.
Ask as many questions as you want. No there is no way of telling the size of the tub from the model number. If you click HERE and download a manual it may tell you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, then one more question (hahaha), if I go with buying a new motor, would it be wise to buy a new coupler at the same time? or if it looks good now, don't bother?
LOL the new couplers has been redesigned, if it has a metal sleeve where it slides onto the motor shaft and the tranny shaft keep it. If it has no metal in the middle replace it. graphic Notice the metal sleeve in the middle, the old ones didn't have it and were prone to break. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nope, plastic on this one. Thanks once again!!!
Your welcome, I will be here for another hour if you need anything else :)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just installed the new motor & coupler and for around $200 in parts, we are back in action. Thanks again for your help! I have spread the word all day about this site. I have one more question (and I will pay for the answer as well). I have heard it is wise to take the front off of my dryer to clean out lint periodically. I haven't yet figured out the how to take it apart to do so. How do I do this and is this necessary maintenance?
No not really. Glad your all fixed up :)