Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

My whirlpool dryer doesnt turn off automatically. we have

My whirlpool dryer doesn't turn off automatically. we have replaced three thermostats and the timer, but it still won't shut off automatically. It also takes hours to dry one load of laundry. Any idea what might be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello, Does it not shut off in auto? or does it not shut off in timed also?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know if it shuts off in timed mode. We never use timed mode. It definitely doesn't shut off in auto mode.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Ok there are a few thing that can cause this, if we are to find out what the problem is we are going to have to check them one at a time. Can I start by getting the model number. Should be just inside the door. Mike
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Model LGR5620KO1 (I think. That zero could be an 8 - it was difficult to see)

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Ok I have a schematic. Dryers rely heavily on airflow but gas dryers even more. Basically auto cycle detects how much moisture is in the drum. If for some reason it thinks the clothes are dry it shuts the heat off even if the clothes are still wet. The timer won't advance either. So first thing to do is go outside and see if the airflow is good. The slats on the vent should be pushed out almost to the horizontal position if air flow is good. If air flow is bad the slats on the vent cover will not move that much. The air flow should be quite strong coming out the vent. Let me know what the airflow is like. Mike
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We don't actually have a vent cover with slats - it's just an open hose to the outside. But, I put my hand at the hose, and the air is warm but not what I would call "quite strong." It was much much lighter than what would come out of a hair dryer.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Ok well that is going to be your problem. The next step would be to figure out if the vent has a restriction or if the dryer has a restriction. This machine commonly suffers with this kind of problem. next you should pull the vent off the back of the dryer and run the dryer. If the air blowing out of the dryer is still not that strong the blockage is in the machine. If the air blows strong out of the dryer then the vent has a blockage and should be cleaned out all the way to the vent cover outside. Mike