Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My almost 5 yr. old Amana Range -electric smoothtop, easy touch

Customer Question

My almost 5 yr. old Amana Range -electric smoothtop, easy touch control 500, had what appeared to be a small fire/spark under the oven floor where the heating element is located. Just prior to that I heard a loud noise. After that the temp would only go to 220. A coworker familiar with ovens suggested the noise & fire are probably related & that the heating element probably burned out. If I had a regular oven I could buy the proper element, install & everything would be fine. But since I bought the range with the hidden heating element, is there a home-handyman way of accessing that area & replacing the element, without incuring the huge expense of having a professional charge me for everything a professional charges for? This is in my elderly mother's home, I'm already paying her expenses with mine & as much as I'd love to support the local economy, I can't & must do it my semi-handywoman self. Any help/advice to offer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
do you have a model number so I can see how to access this unit's bake element? You will definitely need to replace the element as the issues you have stated means the element has shorted out.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've looked through my use & care guide, & looked on, in, & behind my range but couldn't find a model #. Any other suggestions as to where I could look? Of course I should have written it down when range was purchased - don't worry I've already been chastised for that... the only number I saw on the back of the range is #8114P924-60 (02-03-00), which may or may not be at all helpful. I can answer any question about what the range looks like, features, etc. but I can't find the model #.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
the model number should be located on a sticker around the frame of the oven if you open the door or remove the lower utility drawer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I won't be able to look in the utility drawer until I get home tonight. I can reply tonight from home, or tomorrow from my office, but what is the best way to get back to you???
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
just save the adress or follow the links in your E-mail and it'll bring you back to this post.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Aha! Finally found the model #, AER5715QAW. Hope this helps!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok well it actaully looks like the floor inside your oven comes out. There are 2 screws, one in the back left and back right corner holding down the floor that you can remove, then the floor will pull out for access to your heating element.