Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My almost 5 yr. old Amana Range -electric smoothtop, easy touch

Customer Question

My almost 5 yr. old Amana Range -electric smoothtop, easy touch control 500, had what appeared to be a small fire/spark under the oven floor where the heating element is located. Just prior to that I heard a loud noise. After that the temp would only go to 220. A coworker familiar with ovens suggested the noise & fire are probably related & that the heating element probably burned out. If I had a regular oven I could buy the proper element, install & everything would be fine. But since I bought the range with the hidden heating element, is there a home-handyman way of accessing that area & replacing the element, without incuring the huge expense of having a professional charge me for everything a professional charges for? This is in my elderly mother's home, I'm already paying her expenses with mine & as much as I'd love to support the local economy, I can't & must do it my semi-handywoman self. Any help/advice to offer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
do you have a model number so I can see how to access this unit's bake element? You will definitely need to replace the element as the issues you have stated means the element has shorted out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've looked through my use & care guide, & looked on, in, & behind my range but couldn't find a model #. Any other suggestions as to where I could look? Of course I should have written it down when range was purchased - don't worry I've already been chastised for that... the only number I saw on the back of the range is #8114P924-60 (02-03-00), which may or may not be at all helpful. I can answer any question about what the range looks like, features, etc. but I can't find the model #.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
the model number should be located on a sticker around the frame of the oven if you open the door or remove the lower utility drawer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I won't be able to look in the utility drawer until I get home tonight. I can reply tonight from home, or tomorrow from my office, but what is the best way to get back to you???
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
just save the adress or follow the links in your E-mail and it'll bring you back to this post.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Aha! Finally found the model #, AER5715QAW. Hope this helps!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok well it actaully looks like the floor inside your oven comes out. There are 2 screws, one in the back left and back right corner holding down the floor that you can remove, then the floor will pull out for access to your heating element.