Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Maytag Dishwasher Keeps tripping circuit breaker during wash.

Customer Question

Maytag Dishwasher Keeps tripping circuit breaker during wash. It may be tied to
the start of pumping water out. When reset pump works fine. But will not run a full cycle load without resetting beaker at least twice.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
correct, if it's still tripping the breaker when you turn the heat off, then the heater isn't the problem. To figure out what the problem is, you will need to disconnect the stuff one at a time. Disconnect the drain pump and run a cycle and if it doesn't trip then you know you need a new drain pump. If it still trips then run a cycle without the circulation motor connected and see if it stops from tripping. Whatever part you disconnect and it stops tripping the breaker means that part needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't see how you can run a cycle with the drain pump disconnected. Same thing applies to the idea of running it with the circulation motor pulled out. I would expect someone to give me resistance values for these components to see if they have shorted out.

I was hoping for an answer that said check a "contactor switch" or do a continuity test for the timer. Or offer some guidance based on past repair history.

My Better Homes and Gardens home repair book is more helpful than this.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
you just disconnect the wires going to the motor. That's how you do it.