John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

i have a whirlpool stainless steel GS5SHGXKS00 refrigerator

I have a whirlpool stainless steel GS5SHGXKS00 refrigerator that was spitting plastic chips in my glass . well I emptied the ice bend to find a spoon caught in the auger I removed the spoon but now the auger won't turn when you pushthe dispenser lever. what might the problem be now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Do you hear a slight hum when you push the button.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No there is no sound at all , thats a sound i usually here when the maker is out of ice , but I don't even hear that .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what activates the motor is there a connection in the door?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Yes theres a switch in the door where you push the then send power to the motor but the spoon getting stuck would not burn the switch but its a thing you can check its a pain to get to though.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Then what you are saying is the motor is burned out? Is there a way I could test it to make sure
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Yes you can take it out and give it 120 volts on the bench , and if its burnt it will give off a burn smell.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you .But is there anyway to test it while in the frig .
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

yes if you have a volt meter you can check the motor while its inside the fridge.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Once I get to the motor where do I put the leads and what should the meter read.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
The two leads that connect to the motor , you put the two leads on each connection and push the ice button while holding the door switch closed, if the switch is ok the meter should read 120 volts