Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I have a Frigidaire Glass top stove. Front oven door is locked

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire Glass top stove. Front oven door is locked and cannot be opened even with moderate force. Looks that the latch located in the middle of the door on the upper side does not operate and open.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 6 years ago.
you can make a hook with a metal coat hanger and slid it to the side to open. it will take some force. im guessing you just self cleaned the oven? if this is so the oven temp sensor most likely has gone bad and is telling the control board the oven is to hot. do you have a volt/ohm meter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The hook is in the centre of the door so if a hook is inserted from side it will not reach the Latch. any way I am going to try right now. Is there any other way to open the door.
you slide it through the gap between the top of the door and the top.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO the Hanger Hook method is a layman answer and does not work. Is there any technical answer. Can we open the top or the side panel as without opening the front door we cannot unscrew the screws holding the topand the sides.
this is how all tech are trained to open the oven door in the field and in 16 years i have done it over 1000 times and so have all of my techs. you can not remove anything till the door is open. i am going to opt out as you seem to be second guessing my knowledge. good luck!! sorry. Cool
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 6 years ago.
set the range for self clean and turn on ,, after you hear the latch lock down then cancel the self clean and wait 20 minutes to give time for the latch to release and draw back into the oven and then open the door ,,, if it does not then you will need to slide the range out, unplug, remove the back panel and run the latch back in by hand / thanks