Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

My 28 year old Kitchen Aid Imperial 21 dishwasher model #KDI21AD

My 28 year old Kitchen Aid Imperial 21 dishwasher model #KDI21AD started spewing water through the air gap. I cleaned out the connection hoses and replaced the air gap valve itself with a new one. Problem solved…except each time I use the dishwasher now it begins it’s cycle at the wrong place no matter what buttons are pushed. Instead of WASH it will start at DRY or RINSE. I wait until it ends its work and stops then I just start it again and it washes completely. What causes it to reprogram itself and how can I straighten it out?

What buttons are on the control panel?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reading left to right:

POTS/PANS, NORMAL, LIGHT/CHINA

The next three are:
RINSE/HOLD, NO HEAT DRY, CANCEL

Hope that helps.

The timer is out of sequence and would require replacement, however it is no longer available because of it's age, there is no repair that can be done other than replacing the entire dishwasher..

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Chas,

Thanks for your input. Two things puzzle me. First how did my replacing the AIR GAP trigger a timer mishap? Second, how come each time I re-enter the normal wash command after I get the erroneous response, the dishwasher preforms the proper cycle?
That is a good question, I have no answer for that part, I do not think it is related, however the timer going out of sequence is not uncommon, My mother in Law had the dame problem with her 23 year old kitchen aid, Sh cried when we could not get the parts for it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, Chas.

Your Welcome

Chas