Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Sears Stacker model number 417.98702891 We have replaced

I have a Sears Stacker model number 417.98702891 We have replaced the heat assembly since it burned in two. Also put a new pulley Idler for dryer and belt. We also replaced the dryer shaft and shaft bearing. However when we power up, the timer makes a running noise, the heat element heats, but the motor will not spin. Is there a breaker or fuse somewhere we missed. We jumped the on off switch, and get the same results.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
is it the motor that wont spin or the drum? you cay you hear a running noise does it sound like the motor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cant hear the motor humming, just a humming sound in the timer switch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

we thought it was the on off switch. But unhooked it and jumped the wires got the same results.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you spin the drum by hand easy?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes we can sping the drum, fairly easily by hand. Have the belt attached, new idler and drum bearing. Have not tried it with belt off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
try it with the belt off, see it starts , the bad thing is the heating element should heat unless the motors running, there is a centrifugal switch in the motor that only sends power to the heater if it turning,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I wont be home for about 1/2 hour. can it try it and then get back with you?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sure
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am back. I just un hooked the belt and tried. When I turn the on/off button it gived power to the timer with a noise. But the motor does not turn. Neither does the heater heat. But when I let go of the on off button, sound stops.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you need to check the thermal fuse, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you may have pull a wire off of it when you were working on it, its located in the back either on the side of the element or the back wall, you should be able to get at this if you remove the top, it should be on the right side looking from the front, the best way to test this if a wire isn't off is to take both wires off and tape them together and see if it starts, (unplug dryer first) don't leave it jumped out though its a safety, replace if needed, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have to leave for a business appointment, will check it out later this evening and let you know. Is it on the element pan or seperate?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
some are on the element pan others are right next to it on the back wall, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Bryan,

Hey that did the trick. In fact we were able to find a thermal fuse at a local store. Got it in and the dryer is working. Sorry it took me so long but had to go back an forth between business appoitments. My son finally finished it up for me.

Thanks again,

Don Phoebus

www.donphoebus.com

www.happyshoppingmall.com