Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

my refrigerator is freezing the food in the bottom crisper

Customer Question

my refrigerator is freezing the food in the bottom crisper drawer and seems to be ice in the water line, blocking the flow of water. also seems to run constantly. what can be causing this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

Please remove all the food on the freezer section and tell me if you can see frost accumulation inside the freezer back wall. about two feet from the bottom.

Then remove the food drawer at the lower part of the fridge, on its left side would be a vent grill. This is the return vent towards the freezer. In some instance, this hole would be filled with ice. This would be the cause why the crisper drawer would freeze the food in the drawer.

Remove the grill and you might see if there is ice in the hole.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, thre is a thin layer of frost acumulated on the back wall of the freezer, as you have suggested, however there is no ice behind the grill
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

Ok. So the problem could just be starting. You could still observe it and see if the frost would really be heavy and the fridge would no longer cool .Observe also if the air coming out of the vents would decrease.

If it would happen, then you could have a defrost issue.
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I just need to know now what to do. I had changed out the defroster element and the thermostat about 8 months ago, so I did not expect to get this problem again so soon. is there something else I should have done?
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for accepting.

You can re-check the new parts that you have replaced. Check the defrost heater if it still has about 50-100 ohms resistance. While frosted up, you should have a close contact reading on the defrost thermostat and when you thaw it, it should open up. if it does not open up, then it is bad too. It will always burn down the defrost heater.

Another thing to check would be the temperature sensor in the freezer section. This part sends the signal to the mother board to stop the compressor when the compartment has reached its set temperature. If it would not stop, then it would over frost also.