Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have an Amana Bottom Freezer Refrigreator model #ABB2224DEW.

Customer Question

We have an Amana Bottom Freezer Refrigreator model #ABB2224DEW. The freezer is so cold that the venting at the back of the freezer build up frost then the refrigerator does not cool correctly.

If we empty the freezer, shut off the power and leave the door open, the frost melts then the refrigerator will work correctly for awhile.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

you actually have a defrost problem, take the back panel off inside the freezer and you will see the coils are completely covered in frost, defrost these with a hair dryer and the replace this, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=its the defrost thermostat, its located at the top of the coils, when your done defrosting this put the panel back on and it will run great until the part arrives, you can get the part@ thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried to take the back panel off once before but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I unscrewed the screws but I was afraid to force it off. How do I remove the half-moon shaped vent to remove that back cover?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
that has little clips holding it look carefully with a flashlight you will see them, here a picture where you can see them, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
your very welcome. , thanks Bryan