Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

MAYTAG NEPTUNE GAS DRYER MODEL MDG5500AWW SERIAL 10642736YY Dryer

MAYTAG NEPTUNE GAS DRYER MODEL MDG5500AWW SERIAL 10642736YY
Dryer does not heat. I hear a distinct click which I assume is the igniter. I feel no heat on the exhaust duct. The exhaust duct appears clear. I can feel the air from the exterior vent. The lack of heat exists in Sensor mode and in Timed mode. The electrical panel appears to be functioning fine as it relates to various menu choices – everything lights up as usual when pressed. No error codes appear in the display. Please advise. Dave
Submitted: 6 years ago via PartStore.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the first thing to do is remove the screws marked # XXXXX on this diagram and pull the panel # XXXXX out at the top and remove, then start the dryer in heat mode and watch to see if the igniter glows, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Bryan. Sorry for the delay. I was pulled form my mission.

Yes, the igniter glows. Within approx 3 seconds, it lit the chamber and a flame was present. Approx. 10 seconds later the flame went out, the igniter did start glowing again, but there no no additional "fires" of the heating chamber. I observed this cycle of igniter glows, no fire, system clicks, repeated several times.

Dave

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok great we are half way there, take the vent off the dryer itself and run it, if it does the same thing replace the gas coils, Gas Dryer GutsPart 3479you can order these @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-MDG5500AWW-%3d%3di3479&PartID=3479 for around $20.00, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Bryan:

Pulling the exhaust vent will require me to pull the washer out of the room so I can get to the exhaust vent, else I try and slip a 13 year old in behind the dryer and hope for the best, like not stepping on the gas line and rupturing it :).

Assuming the thing fires off continuously with the vent off, does that send us in a different direction than the coils or simpley mean the vent duct is clogged?

I will pay you for your time, you can be assurred, I just don't want to go there unless it leads to a different part change out vs. the coils. I did witness a good flow of air at the outside house vent of the dryer.

Dave

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if you get the vent off and its runs correctly then the vent is the problem, the dryer gets to hot because the vent wont let the heat go out therefore it shuts the flame off(safety thermostat) if it does the same thing the coils are weak and cant keep the valve open, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I am going to order the coils. I saw the link it says one @$20.50. Doe this get me the two prong and the three prong? Is it one package containing the assemble? The schematic leads one to believe there are two separate pieces that make up the combination. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, do I order one at $20.50 or two separate part numbers (two prong and a three prong). And will the ACCEPT button allow me to pay you more than the opriginal quote?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan, did you see my question?