Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Ice maker on fridge works water does not. Have had trouble

Ice maker on fridge works water does not. Have had trouble in past. Put hair dryer to it and that is not working this time. Switch is ok because i can get ice but no water. Thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
can you get me the model # XXXXX make?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Make i guess is side by side, Model is GSS 25kgmd BB
Serial number is XXXXX if that helps
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
do you hear a click in the back of the refrigerator when you press for water?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes i have the click of the door switch and a click that is definiately in the back and i think towards the bottom.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, My neighbor does, may take a little bit to get it. (few minutes)
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a volt meter now,
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok get the cover off the back of the refrigerator and find the valve where the house water connects, on side will go to the ice maker up the back of the refrigerator and the other side is the one we want to test, put the meter in the plug at the valve and set it for volts, have someone push the water and see if you get 120 volts, if you do let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It appears that i have 175V obviously doesnt seam right, but that is what i have
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
that is weird, maybe the meter is faulty but at least you know you getting power, it looks like you have a bad valve, does the valve vibrate when you push the water?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The original hum you asked about actully primarly comes from the area of the main mother board. But yes the touching the valve i do feel a small vibration when the switch is pushed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok , try this, in the fresh food section behind the crisper you have a water chiller. Part 962383I suspect this has frozen, (this sometimes happens) take your hair dryer and defrost it , keep trying the water every now and then until it starts to flow, if it doesnt work replace the valve, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good thanks