Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a Hotpoint fridge HSS25GFT The water on the door keeps

I have a Hotpoint fridge HSS25GFT The water on the door keeps freezing up I have to turn off the unit and wait with the door open 30-45 min and it will clear. If you time it right the ice will purge from the line. I am running the freezed on its warmest setting .
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
running the freezer on the warmest is making the fridge colder and thats where the water tank is ,, remove the crisper's in the bottom of the fridge and with a hair dyer warm up the water tank ,, some are only a coil of plastic tubing and hold a glass against the water lever and when water starts coming out then run a gal though it and turn the setting on fridge and freezer to center setting (1-7 set on 4) and this will fix the problem / thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My fridge has seperate controls I leave the fridge on normal setting of 5 and turn the frezzer up to 1 whitch is the warmest The controls are on the outside of the door by the ice and water dispencer. The fridge is only 3 years old
i know you have seperate controls and when you have the freezer set to warmest then its opening the air baffel inside to let the cold air leave the freezer and enter the fridge which is where the water tank in and then it gets too cold and freezes up ,, set both controls on 5 and do as i said and it will fix the problem ,, seen this many times / thanks
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Larry it did not work I got it freed up and 7 hrs later its frozen again i put the fridge and freezer on 4 like u said
check the air damper down by the crisper's and make sure its not wide open and letting all the cold air come though into the fridge
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on the left side on wall by the first crisper is a vent approx 4x2 in. i took the great off and crawled in and could see copper tubing i saw no flap
oh ok ,, here what you can do to out smart this without buying any parts ,, take a piece of duct tape and cover only 1/2 of the vent on the inside so it dont show and this will fix the problem and slow down the cold air getting to the water tank
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i will try now back to the bud shootout
haha ,, thanks and if you need me just shout
Larry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Larry its now 6 hours later and I taped up a little over half of the bottom vent last night.

I now have no water again

Jeff