How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an Sharp r-1500 microwave. Yetreday I turned it on and

Resolved Question:

I have an Sharp r-1500 microwave. Yetreday I turned it on and it did a noise like a gun shot and continued to buz very loudly when turned on. It also stopped heating. I suspect the magnetron but I am not sure. What do you think? And if it is, how difficult is it to replace it?
Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well its either the magnetron or the transformer, either one is expensive and dangerous to replace if this is a counter top model its not showing, its cheaper to replace than repair, CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.



Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microwave oven


this is the reason you shouldn't attempt repair yourself, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand what you are saying. But do you think it's the magnetron or petrhaps some other component?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if you hear a load buzz its most likely the transformer , like I said its the magnetron or the transformer, the only other thing it could possibly be would be the high voltage diode may have blown but I cant be sure,
Bryan and 2 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions