Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The spark ignitors on our GE Range (JGSP30GEP2) continue to

The spark ignitors on our GE Range (JGSP30GEP2) continue to spark unless both burners on the same side are turned on. Turning on two burners on opposite sides does not stop the sparking. Front and Back left or Front and Back Right need to be on to stop the sparking. What is the likely problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the spark module is the most likely cause,Part 244959 have you spilled any water on the top or the control panel. ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem evidently caused the spark module to fale due to continuous sparking. I replaced the spark module already.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok , then it has to be the switches in the controls, was this sparking the same way before? put on two burners and it stopped?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My wife never considered turning on 2 burners on the same side before the spark module failed. When the module was replaced and the sparking continued with only one burner on I checked the spark gap and looked for evidence of a food or grease build-up around the burners, etc. Everything looked clean and I couldn't find any evident problem. I then tried combinations of burners and found that if both on one side are on, the sparking stops. If one gets turned off the sparking starts again. There have been a very few times that I could turn on both and then turn one off and the sparking would not start, but I can't get it to consistenty do that.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

these are the switches, Part 244994the switches are #323 on this diagram. hope this helps, thanks Bryan

link for part,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will go ahead and pay for this, but the answer was not only not helpful, but I had to wait far too long to get the response (over 1 hour 16 minutes from when I posed the question to when I got the last answer) and although the site told me that other experts were available to answer due to the delay, none did so. I was able to contact a local appliance repair shop and they were able to help me determine the problem fairly quickly given the same information as I provided to you. The range is now working properly and no parts were necessary.