Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My approx. 6 year old Maytag top loading washer is making a

My approx. 6 year old Maytag top loading washer is making a horribly loud grinding noise during the agitation and spin cycles. Its so loud you have to yell over it to be heard. How do I fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

its the drain pump doing this, Pump part# XXXXX replaced 21001906 - Click Image to Closeyou need to replace it, you can order this on line @ # XXXXX on this diagram, take the back panel off to access this, the will fix the problem, you can check it by tipping the machine back and take the belt off spin the pump by hand you will hear it and feel it.

thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you tell me how much that part will cost and how long to deliver? Or is it possible to purchase it at Lowe's or Home Depot?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you cant get this @ Lowes, at the site I gave you its $49.76 good price its $70.00 at most sites, you will have it in two days most likely. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm unable to check it right now so will wait until my husband arrives. Even though the washer is draining fine, you still feel its the drain pump?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes I do, these have been re disigned because of that excact problem, trust me its bad, it will still drain but are noisy and eventually will fail completely , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help Bryan. We'll try this.