John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My kenmore Elite Dishwasher will not drain. What should I

Customer Question

My kenmore Elite Dishwasher will not drain. What should I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hi thanks for the question.

When its in the drain cycle can you hear a hum from the motor, Please send me the model number so I can help you better.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am checking the drain cycle now. The model numbers are listed as 665,17799 and 17792.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail.aspx?Inventory=382661&SourceCode=7&ModelNum=66517799

If the motor is going, take the bottom panel off and check this drain funnel, food can get caught in the valve and stop the draining process.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took the bottom panel off (very narrow) I see a hose that feeds into a large pump like encasement. Is that the drain funnel? If so how do I take it off?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
The drain funnel unscrews from the motor, get a towel you will get water.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I pulled off the hose and the dishwasher drained! What does this mean? From what I can see, the hose is not plugged. It also looks clear in the connecting piece to he encasement. Will the dishwasher drain now?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
You cant tell if its ok without taking it off the motor and looking inside the part.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you mean take off the part that attaches the hose to the main encasement? How do I remove it. I only see one screw.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
The complete white funnel that the hose connects to unscrews from the motor theres no screw.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
By white funnel, do you mean the long, white flexible hose or the white solid part that is attached to the motor encasement? The solid part has a screw, the hose does not. I do not see any other part.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

PS382661: VALVE-CHEK

This is the white part , and it has no screw to remove.it unscrews from the motor housing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can see the top of a part way back behind everything that comes straight down from the filter??? into the motor encasement. But looking at the diagram of the motor and filter, I think it resembles the pump centering tool. What is the name of the part, and I will try to find it on the parts diagram.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Its called the check valve, I don't know why your having this problem, you removed the drain hose frim this part did you not, if you did then just unscrew the part from the motor housing from under the d/w.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know if you received my message. I gave you the wrong model number. I was working out of a manuel for our old dishwasher. I am so sorry. I will definitely pay you double ( I already have) plus a generous tip. I am sorry about this! The new model number is XXXXX The Kenmore Elite Ultra wash. Thank you.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Yes that makes a big difference, your model is known for this problem, its the wash impeller in the main motor that becomes worn and wont push the water up to the spray ars thats why the d/w is not cleaning, the completer motor and pump assembly has to be replaced, and for that model its not worth the $$ it was never a great model.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The dishwasher is cleaning. It is just not draining. Does this make a difference? Or is it the wash impeller that affects the draining as well.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok then the part that has the screw is the water pump, take the screw out and turn the pump it will come off , that model you gave me first was a completly different d/w.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I am sorry about that. OK the screw is out, the pump is off.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
The pump should be free to turn and there should be a small rubber flapper valve, if the pump is free to turn and its not pumping the water out it could be the pump, you can take it out and apply 120 vots to it to see if it will turn, if not replace the water pump.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The only part I can find is the Sump. Is this what I need to replace?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=b2a9c261i1012460&PartID=1012460

This is the complete pump and motor assembly, on that model its the complete assembly you have to replace.