We have a 50 gallon Rheem hot water heater manufatured in 1994.

Customer Question

We have a 50 gallon Rheem hot water heater manufatured in 1994. The last 2 days we have had hot water the first few minutes of a bath then it goes cold. Later in the day the same thing happens. We really want to get the unit repaired but I dont want to spend a bunch of money on an older unit thst I should just invest in a new Rheem. Your thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RUSS replied 6 years ago.
if you have a volt ohm meter, check the thermostats and elements. I think you will find a bad t'stat or element. Be sure to kill power to the heater prior to taking the covers oof the thermostats. Test of continuity on the above mentioned parts AFTER disconnectin the wires foing to them.. diagram the wire location so ou get it back together properly thanks and have great 2010